Dr. Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin delivering about 500 books to students at Sacramento's Thomas Edison Elementary School
I have had the joy of donating about 25,000 children's books to date, with almost 2,000 of them provided to Sacramento Reading Partners. They work in 11 Sacramento area public schools, pairing adult mentors with children in grades 2-5 who are struggling with reading.
They have shown that 26 hours of 1:1 mentoring with an adult improves these children’s reading scores by one whole year. It is incredibly exciting! They need tutors to spend one hour a week with children, 1:1. Please consider giving one hour a week that will have a huge impact on improving a child’s academic future.
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
- Each tutoring session is 45 minutes.
- Volunteers can tutor once a week or twice a week. (Children are tutored twice a week.)
- Volunteers can tutor one child or several. (Some tutors tutor several children in back-to-back sessions.)
- Tutoring takes place on the campuses of local schools that have a relationship with Reading Partners.